A Week of Wine Discoveries

What a wonderful week it’s been for wine.   Are you making your favorite comfort foods?  And finding great wines to go along with them?  Me too!

This week I discovered a very unique wine store.   Premier Wine & Spirits is located in Halifax and is a small, highly specialized store featuring  wine and beer.  While there, I asked the owner, Jim, to show me one of his favorite ‘good deal’ wines.  This is what he picked for me.

L'Oustal Blanc 'Cuvee K10' NV

It’s L’Oustal Blanc K10.   Neat story.  It’s labelled K10 because the vintage of this particular bottle was 2010.   You may see K11, as the 2011 vintage is out as well.  Robert Parker called this Carignan dominated varietal as “lively and juicy without sacrificing any of the wine’s richness”.   I had to totally agree with him.  I can’t wait to have this wine again.  I have never had this varietal before, Carignan, and although believed to have originated in Spain, it’s mostly known in France.   The wine is fruity with a hint of herbs and spices.  One of the most interesting things about this wine is that 80% of it is aged in cement!  That’s right, cement.  And the other 20% is aged in oak for about 5 months.   This wine scores a lot of 90’s right across the board.  I hope you can find it in your area!

A very nice client, Sandy, gave me this bottle of wine on Friday.  A big bold Shiraz,  I had it with a grilled steak, grilled vegetables and the flavours danced in my mouth.   Most people who read my blog know I love a  red wine with hints of pepper, and this one didn’t disappoint.  This is another wine I will buy again.  It’s $15.99 here at the NSLC and great value for the money.  Deep rich color in the glass, I loved the subtle flavours of fruit, chocolate and pepper.  This wine worked for me.

I would love to hear about any great finds you make.  Please leave a comment and tell me about your favorite wine. Till next week, in vino veritas, and enjoy.

Darlene

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: